What is Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) and why is it causing high CPU usage: The Desktop Windows Manager which is also popularly known as the dwm.exe is basically a Windows Service which is very much responsible for all kinds of effects that are available in the desktop. The Desktop Windows Manager requires some resources so that it is able to run by itself. All the desktop which are new is build in such a way that it is able to handle the Desktop Windows Manager. The main function of the Desktop Windows Manager is to render different visual effects that are available on the desktop and also provide some of the features which include transition animation and HD support. The Desktop Windows Manager will help to create all the smooth animations in the operating system making everything look so perfect. This also helps in creating the transparent effect which comes in very much handy for the people.
A lot of people end up saying that the Desktop Windows Manager consume a high memory or CPU which is kind of true. The Desktop Windows Manager is generally seen in the PC with the name of dwn.exe. This service takes up about 50-100 MB of the memory available which is about 3 percent of the CPU. It is totally up to the system on how much memory it will be consuming. If the PC has a lot of open Windows animations or processes this might end up slowing down the whole procedure. This is often the reason why a lot of people face frame freeze.
What is Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) and why is it causing high CPU usage?
Solution to the Desktop Windows Manager problem:
If you are facing problems of freeze frame and you do not know what to do, then you can always try out the steps that are listed in this article.
- If the Desktop Windows Manager in your PC is using a lot of resources, you can simply change the wallpaper or the theme that is installed and go for a simpler one. This will help to speed up your computer because the PC will not be requiring a lot kind of resources for basic themes. Make sure to disable the screen saver because screen saver is another place where a lot of resources are used. Make sure to change all the personalization settings to default so that the least amount of resources is used by Desktop Windows Manager.
- It is very much important for users to optimize their Windows. You can always use applications like the Performance Trouble-shooter which will help to optimize and understand the problems with the PC. Users will be able to run the Performance Trouble-shooter simply by opening up the Command Prompt and typing “msdt.exe/id PerformaceDiagnostic”. This application will automatically optimize all the applications by itself.
- Users will also be able to search for the application called the Performance Options and in that, once they click on the Visual Effect they will be able to find the option Adjust for best performance and simply press apply.
- It is recommended if you are facing some problem with the freeze frame, then simply use the Basic theme so that it will improve the battery if you are using a Laptop and also improve the performance of Windows.
- People have said that once they update all the display drivers they are able to see the difference. You can also do that and simply update all the display drivers. Users will be able to check the updates of the display drivers from their PC.
- There is a lot of software which ends up making the Desktop Windows Manager very much slow. Users should always make sure that they do not have any kind of software installed on their PC which might end up overloading the Desktop Windows Manager.
- The dwm.exe is the file which is installed in the System 32 folder. If you are unable to find it in its location, then you can be sure that this is a virus that has attacked your PC. Make sure to run a thorough scan and kill all the virus. Once all the virus is dead the Desktop Windows Manager will be back to normal.
- Users also have the option of running a clean boot, so that everything in the PC is removed and then the computer will be back to its normal position and the efficiency of the Desktop Windows Manager will increase drastically.
- Users also have another thing that they need to check if they are facing over CPU usage for Desktop Windows Manager that is the problem happening because of the hardware acceleration which is there on all Office Products. Users will be able to check this by simply disabling the hardware acceleration. This solution is temporary. You can disable all the accelerations for the Microsoft Office products and check if the speed of the PC is back to normal. If nothing changes then you can again go back and you will now be sure that the problem that you are facing is not because of any hardware acceleration of Office applications.
- Nowadays, a lot of applications are providing with the Dark mode. If you are using a dark mode for any application make sure to switch it back to default because this might be the reason for the frame freeze. The dark mode sometimes responsible for using a lot of memory from the CPU.
Here we have listed down all the problems that your PC might be facing because of the Desktop Windows Manager. The freeze frame is a problem which is faced by a lot of problems. This article will help you to find the problem for the over the use of CPU and once you are able to find the problem you will be able to fix it yourself. This problem is nothing major and users will be able to fix it themselves. Make sure to read the article carefully before jumping into the whole procedure of fixing the problem related to the Desktop Windows Manager.